Flag Bearer Monument Centennial 2016
On Memorial Day 2016, our community marked the Flag Bearer monument’s centennial with Roe Jan area veterans. It was a proud day for us – and a privilege to remember the local men who fought to preserve the Union and the 18 Hillsdale men who gave the ultimate sacrifice.
- Reverend Mary Langley, United Methodist Church, offered the invocation.
- Supervisor Peter Cipkowski gave opening remarks.
- Meg Mettler Wormley read four verses that were written for the original 1916 dedication by poet Thomas Evans.
- Town Historian Jay Rohrlich recited the names of the 18 dead from Hillsdale.
- Rusty Elster, Senior at Taconic Hills, read the Gettysburg Address.
- Lewis Cleale, who is currently performing in the Book of Mormon on Broadway, sang the National Anthem.
- As the Taconic Hills Band played Battle Hymn to the Republic, Helen Hall and Commander Gerald Roberts of our local VFW placed a wreath on the monument.
- Supervisor Cipkowski also spoke at the Memorial Day ceremony at the Hillsdale Fire House.
- Thank you letter to the Register Star and Columbia Paper.
- Memorial Day VIDEO Compilation
- Memorial Day DRONE VIDEO View