Justice Court

The Hillsdale Town Court is the first level trial court in the New York State Court System. The Court has jurisdiction over vehicle and traffic matters, small claims (up to $3000), tenancy, civil and criminal matters. It has the authority to arraign persons on all charges, but is generally limited to violations and misdemeanors. The Town justices are also empowered to officiate at weddings of all who possess a valid marriage license, in the State of New York.

Main Street
P.O. Box 305
Hillsdale, NY 12529
Court Clerk Office: (518) 325-5073 ext. 4
Fax: (518) 325-6917
Email: email hidden; JavaScript is required

Justice: Mark Cawley
Justice: Russ Immarigeon
Acting Court Clerk: Carla Ingersoll

Office Hours:
Tuesdays 12:30 – 4:00 pm
Wednesdays 9:30 am – 4:00 pm
On DA court days, the third Wednesday of the month, 9:30 am – 4:30 pm

For evictions and small claims:
Court is in session the first Wednesday evening of the month at 6 pm in the Hillsdale Town Hall.
For vehicle & traffic & criminal cases involving the Columbia County District Attorney:
Court is in session the third Wednesday of each month, unless otherwise announced, at 5 pm and 6 pm.

The Town of Hillsdale funds the Court and receives a flat fee of $15 for each fine levied for the vehicle and traffic convictions. The Town’s share of penal and local law violations varies, according to the infraction. Each justice must complete a mandatory certification program and attend bi-annual advanced training courses. Both justices are fully certified.

The voters of Hillsdale elect the Town Justices to four year terms.