One Hillsdale household has been enjoying the process of uncovering the many layers of their home’s history and was kind enough to share it with us. The sign below will send some readers back to the days when Marge and Elsie Herrington operated a dress shop in Hillsdale. It started upstairs in what is now the Hillsdale General Store in 1956 but soon moved to larger quarters at the 1852 Greek Revival house at 2719 Route 23, a few doors east of the traffic light. According to local legend, Marge, who lived in the house with her husband, Curt, was “country.” Elsie was “dressy.” Together they operated the popular store until 1975.
Interestingly, earlier records show that the home was once run as a tea room and inn. A 1919 American Automobile Club publication recommends the Green Vine Tea Room and Inn to adventurers travelling the dirt and macadam roads of the Hudson Valley (before routes 22 and 23 existed as we know them).