Hillsdale Town Court is scheduled for Wednesday, August 19. Please contact the Court Clerk with questions. The Clerk is available by phone and email, or in-person by appointment only.
A few things to remember if you need to head into Court:
- Please be patient. Like every town, Hillsdale has five months of "back-log" cases to process.
- "Specific appointment times" will be issued to all involved, so please be on time.
- Only come to Court if you have been contacted by the Court Clerk, the District Attorney, Public Defender, or a Personal Lawyer.
- If your ticket identifies the date of August 19, 2020, for your appearance DO NOT come on this date, please follow these instructions:
- Sign a plea of guilty or not guilty on the ticket with your correct address and most importantly your phone number. Send it to Hillsdale Town Court immediately.
- If your plea is "not guilty", you will be contacted by phone with a FUTURE court appearance time and date.
- If you plead "guilty", a decision of judgment will be mailed to you.
- If you have been contacted with a court appearance time but you feel sick or have a temperature (2-day notice), please call the Court Clerk to cancel the court appointment.
- All persons entering the Town Hall must wear face-covering and sign in. Hand sanitizer will be provided.
Hillsdale Town Court
2609 State Route 23
P.O. Box 305
Hillsdale, NY 12529
Clerk Office: (518) 325-5073 ext. 4
Fax: (518) 325-6917
Monday and Wednesday, from 10 am to 3 pm
Friday, from 10 am to 2 pm
Court Wednesdays, from 10 am to 3 pm
While we do our best to post changes to office hours, we do recommend you contact the court via phone to confirm the hours for the day you intend to come in as emergencies do arise.
For Evictions, Small Claims, Civil Matters, Criminal Cases:
The court is in session the FIRST Wednesday evening of the month at 6 pm in the Hillsdale Town Hall.
For Vehicle & Traffic & Criminal Cases:
The court is in session the THIRD Wednesday of each month unless otherwise announced, at 5 pm and 6 pm.
Hillsdale Town Court is the first level trial court in the New York State Court System. The Court has jurisdiction over vehicle and traffic matters, criminal matters, small claims cases (up to $3000), landlord-tenant cases. It has the authority to arraign persons on all charges but is generally limited to the adjudication of non-felony charges.
The Town justices are also empowered to officiate at weddings of all who possess a valid marriage license in the State of New York. The voters of Hillsdale elect the Town Justices to four-year terms.